If you want to impress your guests when preparing a round of appetizers, try replacing traditional bread and cracker-based canapes with fresh produce! It makes for a colorful presentation with unique flavor profiles and best of all, you may even find some of these alternatives growing in your very own garden. Below, ten fun ways to utilize fruits and vegetables for hors d’oeuvres at your next party:
1.Tomatoes: Using a melon baller, hollow out cherry tomatoes and stuff them with a light crabmeat or tuna salad. Garnish with parsley.
2. Celery: Fill celery sticks with diced Thai peanut chicken and golden raisins. It’s an adult version of ants on a log.
3. Figs: Top each dried fig with crumbled blue cheese and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
4. Zucchini: Slice zucchini on an angle, about half an inch thick. Coat with olive oil and lightly grill each side before topping with ratatouille, crumbled feta and pine nuts.
5. Pineapple: Cut pineapple into small squares. Top each one with a mini grilled shrimp and sprinkle with coconut. Hold in place with a toothpick if needed.
6. Potatoes: Boil mini potatoes and cut them in half. Hollow out the center and fill with creme fraiche, lox and chives.
7. Mushrooms: Stuff mushroom caps with pesto and shredded mozzarella cheese. Garnish with a sliver of sundried tomato and bake until bubbly.
8. Cucumbers: Cut seedless cucumbers into 1/3 inch rounds and top with hummus and kalamata olives. Sprinkle with paprika.
9. Mini Peppers: Cut sweet mini peppers in half and remove seeds. Fill with vegetable dip or spreadable garlic cheese.
10. Raspberries: Place a dollop of chantilly cream inside each raspberry and drizzle with chocolate sauce. Garnish with chocolate shavings.