Want to dress up your next birthday cake or dinner party dessert? You’ve come to the right place! If you need something in a pinch, these suggestions will put that homemade spin on boxed mix if you don’t have time to make the real thing. Below, 10 fun ways to take your chocolate or vanilla confection to the next level.
1. Cover cake with melted peanut butter and top with sliced bananas. Add a layer of Cool Whip and a generous sprinkling of chocolate, toffee bits.
2. Poke holes in your cake and top with pie filling. Try apple over vanilla cake with a dash of cinnamon or chocolate cake with cherry for a black forest feel. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
3. Mix together raspberry jam with vanilla pudding. Spoon over cake and serve with a sprig of mint.
4. Spread your favorite ice cream over cake. Top with room temperature fudge and sprinkles. Freeze until ready to serve.
5. Crumble vanilla cake and mix with cinnamon and sugar. Use as a light crumb topping over grilled stone fruit or pie.
6. Add chocolate chips to boxed chocolate mousse. Bake two or three layers of cake, and spread mixture between each. Finish with cocoa powder.
7. Have a cupcakes station at your next party. Bake them in festive wrappers and leave plain. Offer a selection of frosting flavors and exciting toppings for your guests to create their own.
8. Mash cake into crumbs and blend with your favorite frosting. Form into balls and roll in sweetened cocoa powder or powdered sugar. Serve with coffee or hot chocolate.
9. Top cake with fresh whipped cream, strawberry compote and chocolate shavings or make inside out strawberry cheesecake shortcakes.
10. Turn it into a trifle by layering cake in a glass bowl with fresh berries, pudding, mousse and chocolate ganache.
Have a fun suggestion for cake? Comment below or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org!